Out of the 27 years as a Chartered Accountant I have spent a large proportion providing recommendations, information and consultation to Senior Executives/C-Suite officers to enable them to make informed strategic and/or operational decisions.
My formative years in my finance career were spent with KPMG (one of the big four accounting firms) getting excellent training and exposure to a wide variety of customers and industries. Spending several years in Corporate Insolvency and Recovery showed me the importance of business planning and good financial management.
As they say "Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"
Spending a number of years as a Management Consultant learning through the South Australian Centre for Manufacturing I developed skills in Strategic Planning, Enterprise Improvement (more than just process improvement), Cycle Time Reduction and integrating Strategy into Operational Performance.
What I learnt was by using a structured approach and having the right tool kit it didn't matter whether it was Strategic/Business Planning, internal Business review or process improvement clear outcomes could be achieved from what appeared to be very complex situations.
I soon found that my skills were being utilised from an operational point of view and this is where I have spent the majority of my recent working experience. This has provided me with a unique blend of financial and operational capabilities specialising in, but not limited to, the following areas
- managing budget process and rolling forecast
- working with operations people to identify corrective action for adverse business trends
- capital investment business case development and "What if" analysis
- formulating Corporate Dashboards and Balanced Scorecards
- conducting Strategic Reviews and compiling Business Plans
- development and implementation or improvement of processes